The shores of Lake Michigan are a short distance from the Historic White pine Village, located several miles south of Ludington on the Lower Michigan coast. The "village" is a collection of twenty-five historic buildings and sites open to the public for self-guided tours. Taken together, these buildings contain thousands of artifacts from the past, including landmarks, equipment, musical instruments, furniture and more. The village also protects the records for the County Historical Society and checks these records for specific information as requested.
Like all good villages, one has a Chapel, and it has an organ built in the 1860s. The Chapel will be available for rent for private weddings, baptisms and memorial services. There is a school room (built in 1895) that can still be provided for classes and otherwise available for travel; and a municipal municipality (1879) built an old ice cream parlor.
The Rose Hawley Museum contains many artifacts including musical instruments, tools, home accessories, toys and 1800 vintage cameras. Adjacent is the first county court built in 1849 and relocated in the late 1900s to White Pine Village. It is the first frame building in the county and it is from wood that has been found washed up on the beach. Michigan supplied many trees in the Chicago area during the 1800's, most of which were shipped to Lake Michigan. Lots of shipwrecks happened and there was also the normal loss of a small amount of cargo. This plank board is what the patio is made of.
A short walk away, the Abe Nelson Lumbering museum houses a collection of woodworking tools and memories from the last century. The museum complex is in the style of several woodworking camps that once housed the forests of Michigan and helped rebuild Chicago in the aftermath of a major fire.
Burns Farmhouse is an original farm from 1880 complete with utensils. The Jorissen Barn was moved nearby and it was a true barn from the early century built using wooden pegs to capture the main beams. The farmstead setting also facilitates the cooperation of the store and the learning center.
Wm E. Anderson's Hardware Store is an exact replica of a turn-of-the-century appliance that has been operating in Ludington for many years. The store and inventory on the shelves are also drawn from the photos of the original store.
There is much more to see than can be described in a short article. A visit to the historic White Pine Village is a delightful memory. This stop may not be as much fun for young children as traveling on the beach – just a few miles away – but older and older children should find much to enjoy and learn about.